Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Eating out at restaurants

The first time I went out with some non-vegan friends I tried to do everything I could to make sure I wouldn't be slowing down the ordering process. I called the restaurant to ask questions about the menu and explained that I was vegan. As the menu was seasonal, and seemed out of date online, I ask if they had vegan options or would it be easy to alter a menu item so that it would be vegan. I was put on hold while they went to speak with the chef and when they returned I was assured it would be possible. After other questions I hung up satisfied that I wouldn't have a problem finding something to eat there.

I was so excited. I had done my homework and found out what I needed to know about the restaurant and was now armed with information and ready to go out for a nice meal with friends. Once we were seated at the table I looked over the menu and found there were no options and it looked as if there weren't items that could easily be made vegan. Sadly my discovery proved to be true and there were no vegan meal options.

It was so frustrating as I took the time to investigate before hand. What's the point in calling and asking questions just to find out there isn't anything for you to eat. Needless to say I won't be returning to the restaurant. I really wish restaurants would offer vegan options. These items are offer tastier than the other options on the menu.

What have your restaurant experiences been like? Do you call ahead of time to investigate options?

1 comment:

  1. I do call ahead when I know I'm going to be eating at an omni restaurant. My general policy is to call at an off hour when the restaurant isn't busy and the chef (although it's usually the host/ess) has a moment to investigate and I have time to ask a plethora of questions. That being said, there are definitely times when I've ended up with steamed veggies. Since I love veggies, I am just fine with that. :)

    ReplyDelete