Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Vegan MoFo: Creme Brulee

One of the dessert I enjoy the most is Creme Brulee.  It's an occasional splurge and I always feel sinful when I eat it.  I love the spices that fall brings with it.  Nutmeg, cloves, allspice and cinnamon are glorious.

I saw a recipe for Holiday Spiced Creme Brulee and had to make it.





This recipe was easy to put together. Luckily I already had everything I needed in my kitchen.  I let mine chill overnight as it was late when I decided to whip this up. Boy was I tempted to eat it hot.

Melting the sugar can be tricky if you don't have a torch.  I wouldn't put it in the oven because the custard will become hot and runny.  If you have any suggestions besides a torch please let me know.

So creamy!

It had that rich creaminess I remember in non-vegan creme brulee.  I loved that I could see the spices in the custard.  It was so good I lost my mind and forgot to grab a picture with the brulee part on it.


I'm thinking about making a vegan holiday feast for my vegan friends and I think this would be a great ending to a festive meal.








2 comments:

  1. I have not yet savoured vegan creme brulee, but I would love to try it sometime. I do have the little tiny quiche-like dishes for it and I have a torch (which you are welcome to borrow at any time). The torch comes in handy too for melting stubborn Daiya on veggie burgers and things. If you want to try this without a torch, I saw a method you could try on Vegan Mom. Her recipe was for a s'more pie with ricemellow (or is it mallow?) topping--she dampened a dish cloth and got a bunch of ice cubes to make a bed of ice on a rimmed baking sheet or something. She set her pie (which was mostly chocolate pudding) on the damp cloth and ice and put her pie under the broiler for just a minute to toast the top. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable I'd be with putting a towel in the oven, but I guess its purpose is to absorb some of the water from the melted ice. Anyway, I don't know if that would do from creme brulee, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I also sometimes see torches at Home Goods or Ross type store for only $15-$20.

    ReplyDelete