Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Vegan MoFo: Oatmeal

Just under the wire.  Crazy work day.  Oatmeal is a favorite breakfast of mine.  I LOVE steel cut oats, never thought I would be saying that, as instant was normal for me.  Once I discovered steel cut oatmeal there was no going back.  I just love them.  I get organic oats from Traders Joe's.




Cook them up for about 30 minutes and have a wonderful breakfast.  I like adding fresh berries and often a little maple syrup.



What's your favorite way to eat oatmeal?



2 comments:

  1. Your pot is heart shaped, ha! I've never seen steel cut oats in the shops here (Germany), so I always use rolled oats. Kath did a really great post about oats here: http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/ So much inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that oatmeal is not my favorite breakfast (since I know it's incredibly healthy and all) - but my parents love it, so whenever I visit home, I eat my fair share of it as well. ;) It also tastes so much better when my parents make it - not sure what magic they do?

    I like to top mine with fresh (frozen) berries, homemade jam, some soy yoghurt or soymilk, and a sprinkle of granola or chopped nuts or seeds. Maple syrup sounds like a great addition, too! :)

    I have to agree with you about steel cut oats - they're so much better than instant oatmeal. I usually pour warm water over them the night before and let them soak overnight, then just cook them up (2-3 minutes) in the morning. I love real, slowly cooked oatmeal, but seldom have the time to make it in the morning. Soaking the oats is a compromise that seems to work. ;)

    ReplyDelete