Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

An amazing weekend

Have you ever had one of those weekends were everything is perfect?  That's how it was for me.  My friend Stacy and I both had a few Groupons and decided to use them after had our Kombucha Kamp with Hannah Crum.  I'd been looking forward to Kamp for weeks as I love Kombucha and the idea I could make my own was exciting.  Hannah's class was great.  She gave us a history of Kombucha and told us about it's health benefits.  Then she showed us how to make Kombucha Tea.  Hannah had many samples there for us to taste throughout the class and we were able to buy kits to make our own. 

After class we treated ourselves to a smoothie at  Liquid Juice Bar. Amazing no that's not right. Superb nope not it.  DIVINE!  Yeah that sums it up.  As I'd never been there before Stacy suggested the chocolate pudding, she had tried it before and LOVED it.  The chocolate pudding has almond milk, avocado, raw carob, pecans, dates, maple syrup and coconut water in it.  Well worth the trip.  Good thing I don't live closer to Liquid I'd be there all the time.



Our next stop was the Spice Station.  Truth be told I have a secret love for spices.  I guess not so secret now that I'm sharing it with all of you.  I've heard about this place for months and was so excited to finally go there.  The spices are placed around the store in sample jars above information cards about them.  You can open theses jars to smell or taste the spices.  The women who work there were fantastic.  So helpful,nice, knowledgable, and patient.  I walked away with the motherload of spices and am already dreaming of my next visit.  I will try and wait until the remodeling in the kitchen has finished.

for a margarita of a little citrus crunch in a salad

I had never seen blue poppy seeds GORGEOUS


Lovely spices




We met our friend Marlinda and had dinner at Madeleine Bistro before heading off to the Hollywood Bowl to see Hairspray.  What an evening!  When we purchased the tickets we thought it was the movie boy were we suprised to find out it was live.  It couldn't have been more amazing.  The fun, excitement and energy coming from the stage was contagious.  I loved every moment of the musical and Harvey Fierstein was fantastic as Edna Turnblad.  Great cast!!!!

I ended my weekend with a class at Spork Foods.  As many of you know I am a huge fan of the Spork sister's Heather & Jenny.  When I saw an Italian class with a fruit tart on the menu I knew I had to take it.  This class didn't disappoint.  Each bite was better then the last.  Here are a few photos to wet your whistle.
Tomato sauce

Crostada di Frutta (dessert custard fruit tart)

Home-made Roasted Garlic and Basil Focaccia

Zucchini Carpaccio with a Balsamic Reduction, Currants and Pine Nuts

Eggplant Parmesan

STUNNING TARTS
How was your weekend?  Did you do any cooking?



1 comment:

  1. Ooh, the Sporkies food looks AMAZING (as always)! I made 4 test recipes this weekend, so yeah, I'd say I did some cooking. ;)

    ReplyDelete